At Enginuity, our goal is to provide our customers with exceptional service from our dependable, trustworthy mechanics who are clutch and transmission repair experts. Our ASE Certified technicians take pride in their work and are dedicated to your satisfaction. If you notice unusual sounds or behavior in your vehicle’s tansmission, we recommend you contact us today for reliable service and affordable prices.
An Overview of the Clutch & Transmission
Clutch – a clutch is essential in a vehicle with a manual transmission for changing gears; it engages or disengages all of the moving parts in the drive shaft. The engine in your car spins continuously when it is running, but the wheels don’t. It is necessary to disconnect the wheels from the engine in order to bring a manual transmission vehicle to a stop without the engine dying. This is where the clutch comes into play.
Transmission – In order for you to drive your vehicle at a certain speed, the wheels have to have power. This is the job of the transmission, which shifts gears and supplies the power to the wheels. In a manual transmission vehicle, the engine and transmission are disconnected when you push in the clutch to change gears. In an automatic transmission vehicle, the transmission shifts gears for you.
Common Clutch Problems in Automobiles
There are several issues that are fairly common with clutches.
- The clutch “sticks.” When you push the clutch pedal to the floor and it fails to return to its normal position, it indicates there may be a problem that requires replacement of external seals on the slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder.
- The clutch “slips.” Often times when your vehicle fails to move as it normally would or doesn’t move at all, the clutch pedal needs an adjustment or is worn. Clutches wear out over time and they eventually require replacement.
- Gears do not shift smoothly. If you find it difficult to shift gears, it could be an indication that your clutch needs to be replaced. Problems shifting gears may be also a sign of an electrical problem, or indicate wear/damage of an internal or external transmission component.
- Squealing, clicking, snapping, or other noises. When you hear excessive noises that are unusual coming from your transmission, it could signal that the bearings need to be replaced, or the clutch linkage needs lubricating.
Common Transmission Problems in Automobiles
While clutches and transmissions often share the same noises, there are still problems that are unique to transmissions which can be overlooked if the clutch is working fine.
- Slipping Gears
- Humming, whining, clunking, or other strange noises
- The check engine light comes on
- The vehicle doesn’t go into gear immediately upon shifting
- When in neutral, the transmission makes noises
- The transmission fluid is low or has a leak
- Grinding noise when you shifting gears, or your vehicle shakes
- Burning odor, typically caused by overheated transmission fluid
- Difficulty changing gears due to dragging clutch – this is usually due to excess slack in the clutch pedal
Contact the Enginuity Automotive Service Center Today
Ignoring clutch and transmission issues could result in costly damage or your vehicle. At Enginuity, we treat your vehicle as if it were our own. Our ASE certified expert technicians are the best in Murray, Utah and they provide a wide variety of services including Factory Scheduled services, A/C repair, brake repair, tune-ups, oil changes, engine rebuilds and much more. Contact us today at (801) 268-0125 for a repair quote.